The Paris Agreement and the 2030 Agenda set the course for climate protection and the transformation of the global economy. To achieve these goals, it is crucial, among other things, how successfully states integrate social aspects into the development and implementation of environmental and climate policy measures. Consequently, an ambitious environmental and climate protection policy must deal with questions of social justice and social acceptance as well as the social and economic embeddedness of its measures.
The aim of the project is to facilitate and implement an effective exchange with regard to the challenges and opportunities of a social design of climate and environment related transformation processes. This should lead to a better understanding of the initial situation, key actors and successful solutions. Through the exchange, best practices at institutional and instrumental level will be identified and, if necessary, adapted to national approaches.
Based on a systematic analysis and assessment of the challenges and opportunities of the social design of environmental and climate related transformation processes, a concept for an exchange format at international level with selected countries will be developed and implemented. The results of the exchange will lead to political recommendations for action and a concept for a suitable format for long-term cooperation.
The following work steps are planned in the project:
- Analysis report on the initial situation, central actors and interests as well as the state of discussion in selected countries.
- Workshop concept for an exchange format at international level with actors from politics, science, business and civil society on best practices, instruments, measures and institutions as well as networking activities.
- International exchange within the framework of five modules with around 40 international participants.
- Policy Brief giving policy recommendations for the environmental and climate policy of Germany’s Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety.
- Continuation concept for a suitable format for long-term cooperation.
Arepo is the project leader for the entire project. Furthermore, Arepo is responsible in particular for the preparation of the analysis report (1), the policy brief (4) and the stabilisation concept (5).